Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Love Is Not Irritable: FAIL

The first day of summer has finally arrived.  Ahhhhhh... We are all home.  I'm ready to spend time with my favorite people.  So, the day started like this:  I woke up early and went for a walk/jog.  Then, I came home and studied my devotion for the day.  I'm working through a 6 week study on I Corinthians 13.  The verse I was studying in depth today...

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant
5 or rude.  It does not insist on its own way;
it is not irritable or resentful.

And the question is...Is there anything that needs to change?
                                  What is the Lord leading me to do as a result of this passage?

Well of course I need to change the fact that I am irritable and honestly can be resentful at times.  That's it God.  That's what I'm going to change.  The Lord is leading me to speak kindly to my family.  Ok, let's do this!  I'm all in today.

-one child is on the wii
-one child is on the ipad
-breakfast dishes are still on the table
-chairs are not pushed in
-dirt has been walked throughout the kitchen
-the boy has talked or been drumming on things since her arose from his slumber
-an empty coffee cup rests on the floor beside the couch
-toys are covering the floor of the room I had perfect at bedtime last night
-laundry that I washed and folded is sorted and still laying all over the loveseat
-suitcase from kids weekend trip is still full in the bedroom floor
-dirty socks are on the living room floor
-shut the door has already been said 5 million times today so I'm exaggerating a little, but it certainly feel like 5 million
The list goes on, and on, and on...
I am IRRITATED!
And I'm a little resentful of the fact that I try so hard to keep things in order to make our lives a little more simple and NO ONE seems to care.  By 10 am I am quoting I Cor. 13:5 in my head and reminding myself what I told God this morning.  By noon I was nagging everyone in my house.  By 6 pm I had lost all sense of control so I sent myself to my bedroom for the rest of the night.  I went to bed angry while everyone else sat and watched a movie together.

We are now starting the second day of summer break.  I slept well last night.  I woke to laundry still piled on the loveseat.  There was no I'm sorry to greet me.  The boy hasn't stopped talking since he got out of bed.  Life continues today as if nothing ever happened.  So, here we go again Lord.  I'm working on it.  I really am.  Please, help me do better today.


No comments:

Post a Comment